Friday, October 5, 2012

October 5, 2010

                It is strange to think that when I woke up in the morning on October 5, 2010, that Dan was already dead. When I was in the shower, dead. Doing my hair, dead. Driving to work, singing along with the radio, dead. My world had completely crumbled from underneath me, and I was clueless. My Husband’s wonderful and loving heart had stopped beating, and I was checking work emails. The thought sickens me.
                I was in an event planning meeting around 10:15am, when my co-worker knocked on the door. She entered the conference room; her face as white as a ghost. When the words came out of her mouth, I knew. “Kristen, you need to step out. Your parents are here.” I even looked at my co-workers and said, “Well, that can’t be good.” I walked into my office to find my parents there. My Dad looked straight at me, and told me to get my stuff together and that we needed to go home. I asked why, and the following words shook me to my very core: “Dan died.” Just like that. Two words and I fell to the ground. Not a tear fell from eye. My parents walked me to their car, and we drove home. I sat in the back with my Mom and continued to just shake my said and say, “No. No. No.” I could not believe it. I had heard the words, but couldn’t comprehend them. I needed to hear it from them. I needed to hear it from the Air Force.
                The drive home seemed to take hours. But finally I had arrived at my house. I walked in my kitchen door, and there were three people standing in my living room, in their full dress blues. Col Dodge, whom I had spent some time with at some previous get togethers, walked up to me and grabbed my hand. “On behalf of the United States Air Force, we regret to inform you…” He continued talking, but I think I quit listening. It was true. Dan had been killed. I walked over to the couch and sat down, and lost it. The Chaplain came and sat next to me. And I remember looking into his eyes and telling him that I knew Dan was in heaven, and that he was in a better place. I surprised myself in that moment. I had a sense of peace over me that I could not explain.  
                That peace did not last long. I started to wonder how long they had been at my house. How long was I work, while these three individuals were waiting to deliver the worst news that any wife could hear? I so wish that I would have been the one at home to have opened the door when that dreaded knock came, but I wasn’t. My Aunt Layne had moved in a few days prior to help fight the loneliness during Dan’s deployment. She was the unfortunate one that received the knock. And I feel horrible for that. That was my job. She then called my parents, who came and informed me at work. Again, I feel horrible. No parent should have to inform their child that their best friend and spouse is not coming home.
                After that, word spread among my family, and people began showing up at my house. And each time a new person entered the door, I broke down. My poor brother was away at school in San Marcos, and had to make the long drive home, knowing what he was coming home to. And my brother-in-law was golfing in Orange County and had to make the same, long drive. I can't imagine what was going through their minds during those hours on the road. I literally sat on my couch as floods of family and friends came in to give their condolences. Some gave awkward hugs. Some cried with me for what seemed like hours at a time. And some just didn’t know what to say. But at that time, the only thing I wanted to do was talk to someone in my Johnson family, but I couldn’t. I had decided that I wanted his parents to be told by the Air Force, rather than sharing the news with them myself. I did not feel like I could deliver the news in a respectful and tactful way, which they so deserved. So I had to wait for what seemed like days. I believe it was about three or four hours after I had been informed, that Dan’s Dad had received the news.  I took my cell phone and went in the backyard, alone. I couldn’t wait to hear his voice and cry with him. I called him and he answered. “Hi Kristen!” My heart stopped. He didn’t know. How did the Air Force mess this one up? Now it was my job. My job to inform this loving and devoted father that his son had been killed. It took seconds to share the news, and we said our goodbyes. My heart broke all over again. But now that his family knew, it was public knowledge. Facebook started going crazy. My phone was ringing non-stop. And the news wanted interviews. All within hours of finding out. It was intense.
                At this point, all of my family and closest girlfriends had arrived at the house. But for some reason, I could not wait to see his EOD co-workers. His brothers. A co-worker and very close friend of Dan’s was badly injured in the same explosion. I knew that they all had Bob and Dan on their minds. But they still came to be with me, and offer me support. They arrived all together. A family. And I hugged each one of them for what seemed like minutes. It felt so nice to have them there. They offered me, and continue to offer me, a level of comfort and familiarity that I cannot explain. We all sat there and told Dan stories. We made fun of him. We joked about his mustache. I laughed. And it felt good. But every so often, there would be a break in the stories and the laughter, and it would hit me. Dan was never coming home. My Husband of four months was not coming back to me. And the unbearable pain returned.
                The night grew later, and I remember my Dad trying to get people to leave at a relatively early hour, and I fought it. I remember him saying, “Kristen has to get some rest.” No way was I going to rest. I did not want people to leave my house until my eyes absolutely had to close. The last thing I wanted to do was go upstairs and lie in my bed, and think.  Think about Dan and his last few moments of life. Did it hurt? Was it quick? Did I cross his mind?  These were not questions that I was prepared to ponder at this point. So I didn’t.
                I sat on the couch, surrounded by people, and I must have dozed off. You know that moment when you are mentally awake, but you have yet to open your eyes? Well in that moment, I remember thinking what a terrible and horrific dream that I had just had. I felt relieved. And then I opened my eyes. My girlfriends and siblings were sleeping all around me. Some were on the floor. Some were on the couch. Some in the guest room. This was not a dream. It was my very real nightmare. I glanced over to my cousin Lindsey who was sitting at the computer. She looked at me with the most loving and soft eyes, and said, “I love you Goo.” It took all of my energy to mouth the words, “I love you too.” I then asked her if this was all real, and all she could do was shake her head in affirmation, and say I’m sorry. I closed my eyes again, and fell back asleep.
                I woke up the next morning in my bed, with no recollection of how I ended up there. I was alone. I could hear the rustling of people downstairs making breakfast. All I could think to do was text his best friend, Gerald, and ask him if it really happened. I still have the text message that says, “Yes. I am sorry Sweetie.” I somehow found the strength to get out of bed, go downstairs, and start my day. Not only was I starting a new day, but I was starting a new life. A life without a Husband. A life that included funerals and memorial services in my near future. A life of constantly be referred to as, “the widow.” A life I did not ask for. But a life that I could not be more PROUD to live.
                The days, weeks and months that followed were not easy. Picking out a plot at the cemetery was torture. Writing his obituary felt like a dream. His funeral was a blur. But I survived it. And like I have said many times, I am now a changed person. I am jaded. I am morbid. I have read his autopsy report at least 100 times, and can tell you every single injury and scratch that he sustained. I keep it in my bedside table. I make inappropriate jokes at even more inappropriate times. And I must admit, I sort of like the new me. I am the proud military widow of SrA Daniel James Johnson. My greatest honor.
                To my Daniel, the last two years without you have been a rollercoaster. I miss you more than words can describe. I wish you were here to walk through this cancer journey with me, and to hold my hand. You are my Hero. You are my Angel. And I will forever be your wife. I love you. Forever and Always.



  1. I am so sorry for your heartbreaking loss. Thank you for your sacrifice. As sad a story it is to tell, you told it beautifully and you are doing Dan proud by honoring his memory.

    I'd love to see more close-up photos of the tattoos and read about the story behind them. They look awesome. What a meaningful way to remember Dan.

    p.s. I am so glad you made it through surgery! I have been thinking about you and hoping it went well. I hope to read good news about it soon. I am keeping you close to my heart.

  2. I am drowning in my tears reading this. I remember my reaction to Dan's death and being a military sibling it hit home. To this day I am so incredibly proud of you and admire your strength cause god knows I couldn't do that. I love ya Hun and miss you! Thanks for sharing this in such a beautiful manner. You continue to honor him day after day and that is so amazing. He's not forgotten.

  3. Kristen, once again you bring tears to my eyes as I feel that pain you so vividly describe. Big hugs to you.

  4. Once again, thank you for sharing your very personal journey, Kristen...Every letter you type for every word composed is another step in the healing process. You really should consider writing a book. You hear it a million times, but you really ARE an inspiration to many...Despite the fact that you are the one going through these pains, helping others understand those pains is also part of healing on a larger scale...Love you and keep your feet planted when the wind blows hard! :)

  5. Kristen, you are such an amazing and beautiful person. Reading this not only brought tears to my eyes but it also brought hope. Hope that if such a strong woman could survive this, that the rest of us will be okay in our times of tribulation. I still feel Dan's life through you, you have helped to immortalize him. Love you <3